Friday, April 26, 2013

Adventures in Pageant Judging

Hello everyone! Hope you are having a wonderful Friday. It's a bit rainy here in Lawrence, but otherwise a little warm ... almost like spring weather. Almost.

I have been so busy lately and am so grateful for that! Last Saturday I had the privilege of judging the Miss Kansas, Miss Missouri, Miss Nebraska and Miss Oklahoma United States Pageants in Kansas City and I had an absolute blast. There were so many lovely, poised ladies competing ... which obviously made it really hard to pick the winners, too!

I was one of five judges, and we got started early on Saturday at the Overland Park Convention Center with private interviews. There were over 30 ladies competing in all age groups for each state - Junior Teen, Teen, Miss and Ms. I have to say private interview is my favorite part! I really love getting to know all the competitors by talking with them one-on-one.

Then, Saturday night was the live stage show. After the opening number, there was a fun fashion show then swimsuit, evening gown and onstage question. Everyone had to answer a randomly-selected onstage interview question, which I know gives contestants (including myself) a lot of anxiety! But everyone handled it so well. Then, finally, awards were handed out and the winners in each category and each state were crowned!

It was very interesting to judge a pageant as a contestant; a great learning experience! I got to catch up with Miss Kansas Teen USA Aly Klinzing, Mrs. North America Galaxy Kristi Nichols and see a few other old friends at the show as well. Thank you to the directors Lisa Forbes and Celine Ziller for having me as a judge - I really had a great time! The photo below is of me with the Kansas winners; Alexis Rewalt (Miss), Tobie Roberts (Teen), Kahley Schiller (Ms.) and Kiahna Beard (Junior Teen).

Also, check out a sneak peak from my first official photo shoot with one of my talented sponsors, Rachel Imdieke of Rachel Imdieke Photography/Simply Joyful Photography by clicking here! I love the photos so much; Rachel is so good at what she does, and the makeup and hair by the current Mrs. United States, Aquillia "Q" Vang, was flawless. Again, Vanbros has such a great team! So lucky.

Stay tuned for more pictures from, and details on, the photo shoot, and have a wonderful weekend! I'm off to St. Louis with my husband to see the St. Louis Blues' final game of the regular season tomorrow. Let's go Blues! After a crazy few weeks at work and making appearances, a weekend away is just what I need!

All the best,

RYK

Me in the center with all of the Kansas winners!

No comments:

Post a Comment